This is one of those strange little glitches that keeps popping up in the Facebook mobile app. Basically, when you open the Facebook app, it shows you the icon that you have a new message in the Messenger app. When you click on the Messenger icon, it sends you over to the Messenger app, but….there’s no unread message.
Wait 15 minutes and guess what? That annoying little “new message” icon is back. Press it and…NO UNREAD MESSAGE!
This happens to me about every 6 months and I have to figure out why it’s happening. Sooo…for both your sanity and mine, I thought I would write a quick blog post reminding myself how to fix it and, hopefully, helping all those Google searchers out there who are looking for:
- Why does Facebook keep showing me a new message when I don’t have one
- Facebook Messenger new message icon won’t go away
- How do I clear the Facebook Messenger icon when I don’t have a new message
- Facebook shows a new message, but I don’t have any unread messages
If ANY of these sound like you….read on, here’s how to fix it.
First, after experiencing this issue about 5 times in the last couple of years, here’s the first thing to realize. Even though the Facebook Messenger app doesn’t show you a new or unread message, you probably have one. Each time this happens, the mobile app doesn’t display any new messages, but when I switch to the desktop site, I do see one.
So, to clear the Facebook Messenger notification:
- Open a browser on your desktop (not on mobile)
- Navigate to Facebook.com and log in to your account
- In the left navigation, click the “Messenger” link
- You should see the unread message in the left indicated with the text in bold font
- Click the message and Facebook Messenger will mark it as read
- Log in to the mobile app and you should no longer see the unread message icon
In most cases, I have found that this irritating issue is caused by the use of Facebook emoticons, sentiments, and feelings. When someone replies to your message with a “thumbs up” or a smiley face, Messenger registers it as a reply…which is now an unread message. When you switch over to the conversation in mobile, however, viewing that sentiment doesn’t register as having read the message, which causes the sentiment to remain in unread status, causing the new message icon to recur over and over.
If you are really frustrated and you don’t have access to a desktop machine, you can also open Facebook.com in your mobile browser and choose “Show Desktop View” or “Request Desktop Site” from your browser dropdown menu. This will force Facebook to show you the desktop version of the site and allow you to navigate to Facebook Messenger within the browser, instead of within the mobile app, and clear this issue.
I hope this helps someone out there! If you have experienced this issue and have a better way to clear the message, I’d love to hear about it in a comment.
———– Update: One Additional Tip ————
When you log in to the desktop site on Facebook and click over to Messenger, you can click the gear icon in the upper-left corner and choose “Unread Threads” to find anything that Facebook thinks is unread. Just click on any of threads that show up to mark them as read.