[ANSWERED] Organizing Photos In The New Facebook Timeline

UPDATE: Normally, when Facebook updates the photos/album user experience, I just update this post.

However, recent changes have been pretty big, so I went ahead and wrote a new post with updated instructions, which you can find here.

Cheers!

–Sean

With the rollout of the new Facebook timeline to most users, there has been a lot of confusion about how you used to do things in Facebook and how you do them now.

For me, one of the most confusing has been the organization of photos.

Because I upload a lot of photos to Facebook from my phone, every photo lands in my “Mobile Uploads” folder (also known as an album) by default. In the past, I would go into Facebook and edit the photo and choose which folder I want the photo to live in going forward.

With the new Facebook timeline, there has been a LOT of confusion, with some people arguing that you can’t re-organize photos at all with Timeline. The good news is that is false.

You can still organize your photos, it’s just a little different.

If you have tried to move photos around to a different folder, you have likely noticed that there is no way to do this by editing the photo. As seen in the image below, you can edit all kinds of image attributes like description, location, and who was with you when the photo was taken.

Dropping down the little gear icon in the upper-right corner will even allow you to rotate the photo or set it as your profile photo. What it doesn’t allow you to do, however, is move it to a new folder.

Editing a photo within the new Facebook timeline allows you to adjust the description, who was with you when you took and the place where it was taken. You can't change what album it resides inEditing a photo within the new Facebook timeline allows you to adjust the description, who was with you when you took and the place where it was taken.

So, once you have edited the photo, how do you move it to a specific folder? You actually do that by editing the folder information. So, to move the photo of my angry bird I do the following:

Clicking the Albums link will take you to a view of all the folders you have created for your Facebook photos

1) First, decide on which album you want to move the existing photo out from. You can see the full listing of your current albums by clicking the “Albums” link next to your name (see image).

2) Next, click the album where the image currently resides. In my case, I am moving an image out of the “Mobile Uploads” album and into a new one I have created.

3) Click the “Edit Album” link which will change the view of the album, giving you more control over the album and the ability to move photos.

4) Find the photo you want to move and locate the  small drop-down image in the upper-right corner. Click that and choose “Move To Another Album”

You can move an image to another album with this new dropdown menuYou can move an image to another album with this new dropdown menu.

5) Select the new album and then click “Move Photo” and you should be all set!

Select your new target album, where you want the photo locatedSelect your new target album, where you want the photo located

Clear as mud? It’s a little awkward, but Facebook is still working out all the kinks of timeline and all the changes it brings.

Hopefully, they will realize that this is a user-experience nightmare and will adjust the process to make it easier.

In the meantime, I hope this tips helps you better organize your Facebook photos.

Know of a better/faster way or is this not working for you? Feel free to leave a comment!

Cheers!

–Sean

Share This Post With A Pin!

Facebook Tip - Uploding and organizing photos and albums in the Facebook timeline

Content So Good You Can Almost Taste It!

Subscribe to my email list and get updates in your inbox

Join my mailing list and get all of my social media tips, tricks, and comics in your inbox. Spam-free, guaranteed!

Below Content Subscribe

Comments And Reactions

1. Jossie coetzee says

I,don’t have a computer,and also very old phone,i need someone to get into my photo album on facebook and rearrange it ,i don’t worry the person can gave all the album’s names,i do not care

2. How we get back timeline likes when move the other album

• I have the same problem… I moved some my pictures from Mobile almum to new album and all likes and comments were gone.. want to return it. Is there some chance?

3. Susanna kidd says

Hi Sean I’ve taken a lot of photos, none are in order.I am a person who is not cell phone savey. I have never owned a cell phone before or know how to even set up an album. I have several pictures of my family.how can I arrange this photos into albums and go back and put names on these photos?

4. Rachelle McCoy says

We used to have the option of choosing a photo order: newest to oldest or oldest to newest, but it appears to be gone now. Some of my albums put new photos at the bottom, so that one has to scroll through tons of photos to see what’s new. It is all very frustrating.

5. Jenny Jaeaud says

The solution outlined no longer works…there is no way to get the drop down menu anymore…have tried from the app and from the desktop view

6. superseiyan says

Is there a way to move photos from the timeline to an album without deleting the photo from the original post? Thing is we often post photos with our posts. We don’t want one gigantic album of timeline photos, we’d like to keep them organized in albums, but seems like Facebook forces you to either leave them in the timeline OR delete them from the original post? Any help on this?

7. I have a problem related to photo sequencing. When I view my new submitted photos under the ALBUM heading, they are in the order in which I submitted the photos. However when I view the photos under the PHOTOS heading the photos appear in exactly reverse order. Does anyone know how to have the PHOTO listing and the ALBUM listing keep the same listing order?

• I’m wondering that too! As well as how can I rearrange the order And make them stay that way! I can click on and relocate a photo and click save when I’m in edit album. But, when I go back to it, it’s still in the original order it was before I relocated a photo!

• Phyllis Cartwright says

This is exactly the problem I have. When I arrange the photos in the order I want, Facebook rearranges them! How do we get around this?

8. My problem is when I published photo on my Facebook timeline from my photo gallery file published photo become gigantic no matter on size..

9. Custom Canvas Prints Give It A Try Today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNV0fDnDYrE

10. Hi there.

Thank you so much for all the info. Maybe I’m missing something here. When I click on “photos”, I have 3 option tabs “Photos of You”, “Your Photos” & “Albums”

I want to move photos from “Your photos” to specific albums. This doesn’t give me any options but when I go into “Photos of You” or “Albums” the options are there. Normally all photos uploaded automatically appears in a “Timeline” or “Mobile Uploads” album but no longer there.

So am I right in saying you can’t move photos in the “Your Photos” page, you can’t assign them to another album?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

11. So my issue is that I cannot move photos labeled as “timeline” photos to an album and there is no longer a default “album” titled “timeline photos” So all of the solutions that say go to the “album” don’t work and if I go to the image directly the option just isn’t there. Any ideas?

12. But own do you do this in groups? Related an album – when I add a pic it just shows a general post that a pic was added to the album. The pic I added to the album doesn’t show up on the group wall. If I add the same pic on its own you can see it on the wall, it shows up in photos, but then you can’t move it to the album!! Is there a work around??

13. I don’t see an EDIT ALBUM option! Ugh!

14. Vanessa Ruditys-Brody says

I was able to move the photos from my timeline to my specified album. However, after doing that, my post, which contained the photos no longer have the photos associated to them. How do I move the photos while still keeping the integrity of my original post?

15. Shannon Roman says

The issue I’m having seems to be a nuanced variation to what you have explained. When you post from Instagram in the singular form, you can select those photos individually and rearrange through one of two methods into your Facebook albums. However, if I happen to use the multiple photo posting feature on Instagram, posting 2+ photos in one IG post; I cannot find any way to organize these into specific Facebook albums, even if I wanted to take the entire group of photos and move them. They do not appear when I click to Edit the Instagram album, either.

16. Vincent Joseph says

Sean – please read & understand the question – it’s a simple question – There is no Timeline album!!! Photos on the Timeline do not have the option anywhere to move them into an album. Why not? If there is a way, then let us know exactly how to do it! Again….moving a photo that says ‘Timeline Photos’ on them DOES NOT have an option to move them into an album. Why does Facebook make everything so difficult??

17. I think i figured it out.
    1. Go the posts where you uploaded the photo, and click on the photo. In the upper left hand screen of the photo it will say “Photos from “Your Name” Posts in Mobile Photos”
    2. Click on the Mobile Photos Link. It will open the “Your Photos” section in a folder called “Mobile Photos”
    3. Once there click EDIT.
    4. Now on every photo is a drop down with the option to move photo to new folder

Hope this helps

• As of 6/11/19, there is no longer an option that says move to new folder. Your instructions did, however, help me find my mobile album.

• Yes – Soc Media Sean’s advice seems to no longer work, nor does it really address what I’m trying to do: I’m going nuts trying to add photos to an existing album but place them further back in the sequence, but they just get added to the tail end. (If only I wasn’t OCD about this stuff!)

• Gilberto Guerrero Juárez says

It does work, but do it from a computer, then look for the pic in your timeline and click on it. It will be stored by default in an album called “mobile uploads” or someting like that. It appears as a link, then you can see that album. If you go directly into “Albums” it won’t appear. Then, once there, follow the instructions and that’s it. The downside of this is that if yoy had your pics attached to a comment, your images won’t move along with them but, I guess it’s something. Try it.

18. Once you move a photo that was in a post, it removes it from the post 🙁

19. David Sim Hun Vun says

i dont think so it is apply to facebook group
    if to move photo from timeline to album under facebook group, what is the solution?

20. David Walsh says

My facebook doesn’t show the option of moving the pic to a different album and it moving it deletes the post then that’s no good either. Need to do further research. It appears the only way would be to copy or save and then upload to a new album.