Tips For New Social Media Interns and Those Who Manage Them
Yesterday, @BeatriZ_SancheZ tweeted me a great question about social media internships and I thought it might be a good idea to capture my response here on SocMedSean, as well. If you’re looking for a social media internship, be sure to check out the jobs section of SocMedSean.
Hey! I Just got a new job as social media intern in a fashion magazine, any advice, tips or recommendations to get started?@SocMedSean
My responses were as follows:
Please note: Some of the links in my posts are affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through those links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases when you buy something from those links.
@BeatriZ_SancheZ RE: social media internship tips 1) Learn the business & find ways for social media to help solve business problems.
@BeatriZ_SancheZ 2) Listen to your online community. Here’s a good article by @LauraN546 on getting started http://ow.ly/6d29y
@BeatriZ_SancheZ 3) Create a social media response workflow that analyzes online comments & gives sample responses. Be sure to follow it!!
@BeatriZ_SancheZ 4) Help demonstrate how social media can help sales, support, & your employees. This article might help http://ow.ly/6d2z5
@BeatriZ_SancheZ …and finally….have fun!! Working in social media is great. Interact with people, help them learn, have a good time!
I’d be interested to hear other thoughts and suggestions for new interns engaging in social media. One key tip is to be sure that your intern does have access to all the proper appropriate sites. Don’t expect them to do their job properly if you’re blocking access to Facebook and Twitter.
On a funny note, anyone hiring or defining the role of a social media intern should watch this video from the creator of Socialnomics detailing what role an intern should NOT play.
- Learn about the company's social media policy, if they have any, and if they don't, help formulate one
- Learn who is who in the company so you know whom to ask questions when things come up during social media conversations
- Although you should use your own 'voice', learn about your company's own personality and branding initiatives so that you can reinforce the message through social media channels
- If the intern wants to shine, I suggest keeping track of significant social media conversations (like customers who love and who hate the brand) and compiling a list or putting together a weekly "social media sentiment" report for management (unless the company already has a social media tool that can do that automatically)
- Make sure you are aware of specific campaigns or programs that can benefit from social media exposure and to avoid being caught unprepared when people start commenting about it on social channels
What do you think?
Sean R. Nicholson
Tuesday 10th of April 2012
Love the additions, Daniel! The first two are also good tips for anyone in an internship, regardless of whether it's focused on social media or another area.
Tuesday 10th of April 2012
Besides twitter shared also on InterNations.org - drop me your email privately if you wish an invite.