[SOLVED] Twitter Tip – Changing From Mobile To Standard Desktop View In Safari On The iPad

Note: There is an important update at the bottom of this post. If you want to be able to access the Twitter desktop view on your phone or tablet, please be sure to read ALL THE WAY to the end! I will continue adding new tips as I come across them.

Also, if you’re trying to switch to the desktop view of Facebook, be sure to check out this post.

Wow…sometimes the simplest tasks can be made difficult.

As you may or may not know, I ‘m a big fan of Twitter. Generally, I use HootSuite on my iPad, but there are times that I need to access the www.twitter.com mobile version of the site to perform tasks such as creating lists or just checking out people’s profiles from an email link. While the Twitter mobile site is significantly faster than the desktop view, I still prefer the Twitter desktop version since it offers a lot more functionality.

Follow SocMedSean on TwitterTwitter is a great tool for sharing resources and connecting with other people. Feel free to follow me at @SocMedSean for more great tips and links to my future posts.

When it comes to features, the desktop version of Twitter offers a lot more functionality.

Lists, for example. This morning, all I wanted to do was create a simple list of my tweeps located in Kansas City. Couldn’t do it in HootSuite so I switched over to the Twitter and somehow got stuck in the mobile version of Twitter on Safari.

So, I’ll just click the link to switch over to the desktop view, right? Wrong! The Twitter mobile User Interface doesn’t offer a link to the desktop view when viewed on the iPad via Safari. Grr!

How on Earth do I view the desktop view of Twitter on my tablet?!? Here's how. Click To Tweet

So, I switch to Google and type the following searches:

iPad switch Twitter mobile desktop – Nope. No solution.

iPad change Twitter desktop view – Nope. Nothing there either.

iPad Safari switch Twitter view – No help.

iPad switch between standard and mobile Twitter – Nada.

iPad change view Twitter standard mobile – Still nothing. There has to be a solution.

iPad change from Twitter mobile to desktop – Nope. Ok…officially frustrated.

I even visited several iPad forums and the common answer was to switch to Atomic Browser. Really?? A whole new browser just to switch over to the desktop view of Twitter?

I don’t think so!!

This searching went on for about 20 minutes with a high level of frustration before I gave up on Google (something which rarely occurs for me).

Finally, I just got out my laptop, booted up, went to http://mobile.Twitter.com in Firefox and hovered over the link in the standard desktop view. Yes…when you visit Twitter’s mobile view on a desktop, there is a link to switch between views.

I’m still scratching my head on that one.

Twitter allows you to switch between standard and mobile view when you visit their mobile site on a desktop. Drrrr!Strange…you can click the link to the standard Twitter interface when viewing Twitter’s mobile site in Firefox on a laptop, but not on the iPad in Safari.

So…for all you lost souls who are stuck in the mobile view of Twitter on your iPad, here is the magic process you can follow to switch to the desktop view.

WAIT! Before You Go Any Further, Twitter Has Turned Off The Capabilities In The Next Steps. I’m Keeping It In The Post For Posterity, Or In Case They Turn It Back On. Go To The NEXT Set Of Steps To See How To Switch Your UI

Method Number 1 – DON’T USE THIS ANYMORE!!

1) Go to http://twitter.com and likely it will switch you to the mobile view.

2) in the URL bar, change the URL to https://mobile.twitter.com/settings/change_ui

NOTE: It is important that you ensure the URL has https and not http.

3) Twitter will redirect you to the login screen for the desktop view and you’ll need to log in again.

Ta-DA! Twitter desktop view!

Method Number 2 – USE THIS METHOD!

1) Go to http://twitter.com in your mobile browser and likely it will switch you to the mobile view.

2) In your browser, click the menu icon. Below is an example of what the menu looks like in the Chrome mobile browser.

3) From the menu, choose “Request Desktop Site”. Your browser should now switch you over to the desktop version of Twitter.

NOTE: To switch back to the mobile view, just click the menu icon again and choose “Request mobile site”.

Switching Twitter from mobile to desktop view on the Chrome mobile browserSwitching Twitter from mobile to desktop view on the Chrome mobile browser is as simple as just requesting the desktop site from the menu.

Viewing Twitter in desktop mode on a tablet is possible. Here are the steps to make it happen. Click To Tweet

I hope this saves someone else time and frustration. If you know of a better way to display the desktop view of Twitter on your mobile device like an iPad or Android tablet be sure to share your tip in a comment. Other will definitely appreciate your help!

Cheers!

–Sean

UPDATE 1: I have had a lot of questions asked about whether this same fix works for Android phones like the Galaxy  and on Android-based tablets like the ASUS Transformer.

The great news is YES, I have tested this exact same process on both the Apple iPad and the Android tablet to make sure that it works. I also tested it on my Samsung Galaxy smart phone and method #2 works there, as well.

Share This Post With A Pin!

Tips for displaying the desktop version of Twitter on your mobile device like your phone or tablet

Steps to to change Twitter to the desktop view on your phone or tablet
Change the Twitter view from mobile to desktop on an iPad

Content So Good You Can Almost Taste It!

Subscribe to my email list and get updates in your inbox

Join my mailing list and get all of my social media tips, tricks, and comics in your inbox. Spam-free, guaranteed!

Below Content Subscribe

Comments And Reactions

1. Jessica Jihana says

Soo appreciated! I was probably 5 seconds from blowing up when I came across this!

2. company logo ideas says

Great information. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon).

I have saved it for later!

3. Thank you!!! This is the only place I could find what I wanted without having to turn on my laptop to go full twitter site. Saved me time and frustration. Too bad twitter doesn’t provide this easy access link on the mobile site!

4. Sheila Lamonica says

Thank you so much!!!! I have been dealing with the mobile version on my desktop for months now and could not figure hout how to change it to the standard view.

5. Thank you so much! Genius! I have been frustrated for months over the instant switch to mobile sites on an ipad. And now even the other oft cited browsers (Like Atomic and iCab) automatically switch to mobile versions of sites without an option to change. Very frustrating for me, as now I pretty much only have an iPad to do computering, so sites that won’t let me access the full functionality of the standard site pretty much make that site unusable for me. But at least now I can make changes to Twitter!

6. I just want to say thank you thank you thank you for put the twitter standard desktop link up on your blog I thought I would never get off the mobile one only thing I wanted to do was to change my profile pic I got my background pic and colour done and the header pic on but the downside is that there’s problems with changing a profile pic but hopefully it’s back to normal ASAP I have bookmarked the full twitter site so thank you again 🙂

7. DESTINY RUTH OBIAKOEZE says

oh, i found myself in a mess trying to get on my twitter accounta nd landing on the mobile connection all the time;so i googled “i want to get back twitter on desktop” and the first place i landed on checking up is your site. it is such a relief i just had to use the link on your piece to land me back where i want to be. you are a life saver today. And i guess for everyone that could be lost in this haze. Thanks for helping.Your write up Rocks too.

i willl be glad if you can let me blog on this, and share your link.I would love love to post it on my blog and link back. Please what do you say?

8. Thanks a ton. You saved me time working this out myself.

9. Marco d'Agostino says

Thank so much for this helpful tip! M

10. Thanks for the tip! After twitter got hacked, I decided to just delete the account only to discover that twitter won’t let you withou deactivating it for 30 days and although they are fine letting you sign up on a mobile device they won’t let you deactivate on one!? Seriously!? Pretty sleezy for a company of that size.

11. Trouble with Twitter. I get maybe 6 Tweets on the page, but after that the page will not load for more. I still run Windows 7 IE9.
    For Help I would be happy.
    Thanks

12. I clicked on the link you provided but it didnt help or work for my Samsung Droid Charge. Any help or different link?

13. Thank you!!

14. Hi,

I’ve bookmarked this page for ages and always just click on the link. This week, however, it doesn’t work anymore! I think Twitter updated their mobile version? It never updates my feed properly! Advice?

Thank you!

• Sean R. Nicholson says

Hey Jai,

I looks like Twitter has discontinued the functionality in this link. I have tried several different methods and none redirect to the Desktop UI anymore. The best alternative solution I can find is to use Chrome instead of Safari. In the Chrome Settings menu, there is a link to “Request Desktop Site”. If you check this, it will no longer show you the mobile Twitter site.

Hope that helps!

–Sean

15. Hi, I’m experiencing the same problem as Matthew B. but on my BlackBerry PlayBook. Can’t download Chrome, so any thoughts on ways to work around? Much appreciated.

• Sean R. Nicholson says

Hey Chris,

Look for the Maxthon browser for the Blackberry Playbook. It’s a solid browser and also has a “Desktop Mode” that will switch you into the Twitter desktop view.

Hope that helps!

–Sean

16. Sean R. Nicholson says

Hey Matthew,

Yep, Twitter killed the link. The best alternative solution I can find is to use Chrome instead of Safari. In the Chrome Settings menu, there is a link to “Request Desktop Site”. If you check this, it will no longer show you the mobile Twitter site.

Cheers!

–Sean

17. No longer works. Think Twitter fully disabled it on the website. And looks like none of the Twitter apps have the capability anymore either. I realize that there’s processing overhead added when using Lists but I’d rather opt to have a slower loading site than no choice at all. And, if nothing else, come out with an app that does Twitter Lists specifically. If anyone knows if anything still works for iPhone or iPad, please let me know. At this point, I’m no longer really using Twitter as I rarely go on my laptop anymore. And just can’t keep up with 190 tweeps.

18. Petersr76 says

I never knew there was a “request desktop site” in Chrome. It works a treat ! Thanks. Please accept a ‘manly’ handshake from across the Atlantic !

19. Thanks rmgcat (and Sean!). It took three steps on iPad: 1) Install Chrome, 2) Request Dektop version from Chrome setting, and *then* 3) change URL to https://mobile.twitter.com/settings/change_ui. Wish I could get back the time it took me to get here, but I very much appreciate your knowledge share! Thanks again.

• This worked for me, even thought it says it can’t find the site. I put my twitter id back in and got to a version of the desktop site. Thank you.

20. pool lifts flagler county says

Good information. Lucky me I ran across your site by accident
    (stumbleupon). I have saved as a favorite for later!